Accountability: To ensure access to, promote equity in, and continuously improve the quality of basic education in the region and schools divisions under his/her care by leading in policy and direction setting, standard setting and enforcement (consistent with the national educational policies, plans and standards), partnership building and networking with stakeholders of education, as well as by effectively and efficiently managing the financial, human, and physical resources of the region
- Define the regional educational policy framework with the participation of stakeholders of education which shall reflect the values, needs and expectation of the communities they serve;
- Formulate the Regional Education Development Plan (REDP) based on the school, district and schools division plans which must address the unique needs of the Region following prescribed standards set by national and regional office.
- Perform oversight functions in the implementation of laws, policies, programs, and rules and regulations within the responsibility of DepED in the region;
- Develop regional educational standards through participation in the national and international academic assessments and use results in setting regional standards for planning and regional policy formulation;
- Monitor, assess and evaluate regional learning outcomes
- Approve the establishment of public and private elementary and high schools, special schools, integrated schools, and learning centers based on existing policies, standards, rules and regulations;
- Undertake and manage region-wide research and development projects, which may be funded through official development assistance and/or funding agencies;
- Plan and manage the effective and efficient use of personnel, physical and fiscal resources of the regional office, including professional staff development;
- Ensure strict compliance with prescribed national criteria for the recruitment, selection and training of all staff in the region and divisions
- Hire, place and evaluate employees in the Regional Office, except that of the Assistant Regional Director
- Evaluate the performance of Schools Division Superintendents and Assistant Schools Division Superintendent
- Exercise appointing and disciplinary authority over all the employees in the regional office, except the Assistant Regional Director, subject to policies and guidelines set by the Department
- Determine the organizational structure of the schools divisions and districts and approve the proposed staffing pattern of the schools divisions and districts based on guidelines set.
- Maintain and manage the database and management information system of the region
- Perform such other functions as may be assigned by proper authorities
Office of the Assistant Regional Director
- Assist the Regional Director in the management of the region and in exercising management functions of planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling; He/she may be assigned specific areas of responsibilities and be delegated the necessary authority to perform the task by the RD.
- Assist the Regional Director in the crafting and in monitoring the implementation of the education development plans and programs of the region;
- Represents the Regional Director by acting as the chairman in committees and bodies (i.e. the Regional Promotions Board, Investigation and Grievance Committee) as may be assigned
- Provide legal advice and render legal opinions to the Regional Director and officials of the region
- Draft actions/endorsements on complaints and letters for signature of the regional director in accordance with the provisions of the law and DepED rules and regulations
- Evaluate complaints and conducts preliminary or fact-finding and formal investigations in administrative cases against teaching personnel within the region and employees of the regional office
- Conduct investigations of complaints as may be delegated by the Central Office
- Act as prosecutor in motu propio administrative cases
- Prepare decisions and resolutions in administrative cases
- Prepare or review contracts, MOAs/MOU and instruments to which the region is a party
- Represent the region in court cases, when deputized by the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG)
- In coordination with the Field Technical Assistance (FTA) Division, provide technical assistance to the division offices as regards legal services
- Perform such other functions as may be delegated by the Regional Director
Public Affairs Unit
- Establish a communication system to strengthen relationships with external partners and inform the public of the status and accomplishments of the region
- Establish and nurture linkages with various media organizations
- Monitor news matters concerning the region and take action as needed
- Provide direct communication support to the Regional Director and other official spokespersons (speeches, messages, media coverage, talking points, and other similar public and media relations requirements)
- Manage media and public relations events of the regional office and provide guidance to the schools divisions
- Manage information flow and communications in support of crisis management
- Communicate with Central Office and other Public Affairs offices across levels of DepED and other government agencies regarding information, news, and other matters relating to their functions
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Unit
- Manage the ICT System and infrastructure to effectively support operations, ICT-related plans and programs of the divisions/units within the region.
- Formulate and implement the ICT Plan as part of the REDP to effectively allocate the necessary ICT resources of the region to support regional strategy, operations, programs and projects.
- Develops and sustain partnerships with ICT service providers in the operationalization of the ICT infrastructure and the delivery of support services (e.g. internet connection).
- Adopt/adapt, and monitor implementation of ICT policies and procedures for strategic use of ICT
- In coordination with the Field Technical Assistance Division, provide technical assistance to the division offices as regards ICT
- Participate and communicate with Central Office and other ICT Units across levels with regard to the implementation of national ICT and ICT-related programs