The learning areas in the ALS are called learning strands which are the equivalent of the “subjects” in the formal school system.
These learning strands are:
- Communication Skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
- Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking ( numeracy and scientific thinking)
- Sustainable use of Resource/ Productivity (ability to earn a living through self-employment, outside employment, entrepreneurship, sustainable use of resources and appropriate technology and productivity)
- Development of Self and a Sense of Community (self-development , a sense of personal and national history and identity, cultural pride and recognition and understanding of civil and political rights)
- Expanding One’s World Vision ( knowledge, respect and appreciation for diversity, peace and non-violent resolution of conflict, and global awareness and solidarity)